Fair Farm Hideaway is situated in the heart of the Leicestershire countryside, close to local amenities with walks, cycle routes and attractions on the doorstep. Waltham itself is a quiet village with a fresh food delicatessen, 16th Century thatched pub & restaurant, village shop and lots of signposted walking routes. The nearest town of Melton Mowbray is the rural capital of food and hosts a number of events throughout the year including the Artisan Cheese Fair, July Pie Fest, The Chocolate Festival, several other food festivals throughout the year, as well as a weekly Farmer’s Market every Tuesday at Melton Cattle Market. There is also a small farmers market on Fridays and town wide market on Saturdays in Melton Mowbray
- THE ROYAL HORSESHOES – in Waltham / 10-15 min walk / traditional country pub / 40+ gins and real ale
- THE NAGS HEAD – in Harby / 10 min drive away / Gourmet Burger Menu / good pub grub / dog friendly / live music
- THE TOLLEMACHE ARMS – in Buckminster / 10 min drive / great roast dinners and cocktails / dog friendly
- DICKIES FARM DINING – in Plungar / 15 min drive away/ Amazing food on a local family farm / open thurs-sun
- THE UNICORN’S HEAD – in Langar / 15 min drive away / mini farm shop selling local produce in the pub / Brilliant carvery and hanging kebabs
- THE CHEQUERS INN– in Woolsthorpe by Belvoir / 15 min drive away / Great food in the heart of the Vale of Belvoir / dog friendly
- THE FINCHES ARMS – in Hambleton / 25 min drive away / Lovely drive through beautiful villages and on the way to Rutland Water / The highlight is it’s massive terrace which looks straight out onto Rutland Water, great for lunch if it’s sunny and warm.
When in Melton Mowbray keep an eye out for,
- YE OLDE PORK PIE SHOPPE – The home of Dickinson & Morris pork pies.
- ANNE OF CLEVES– 14th century thatch pub right near the church.
- APTEEKI – Award winning vegan café opposite the Anne of Cleves.
- THE MONTERO LOUNGE – Cosy Club chain / big menu / dog friendly
- AMICI CAFE & BISTRO – Great Italian food served by lovely people.
- APURBA OR PURLE GARLIC – both great for Indian food
THINGS TO DO
VISIT BELVOIR is a good source of information on a wide range of local events in the Vale of Belvoir.
WALKING ROUTES – The LEICESTERSHIRE GOV website has an interactive map which shows all the local walks in the area, enter the post code LE14 4AJ and it will show all legal walking paths and byways.
MELTON MARKETS – Tuesdays – Farmers and Antiques Market 8am-1pm // Friday – small farmers market in the cattle market // Saturday – Town wide market until 1pm // Sunday – Carboot at melton cattle market.
RUTLAND WATER – A large reservoir and nature reserve with a water sports centre, sailing club, bike rental, climbing and an adults water obstacle course in the Summer.
LANGAR SKY DIVING – 10 min drive away. Sky diving centre catering for experienced and beginner divers. There is also go carting at Langar Airfield and at Six Hills heading out towards Leicester. There is also open water swimming near Six hills in the Summer months.
THE ENGINE YARD – Is an artisanal retail development right next to Belvoir Castle. It has a cocktail bar called the Balloon Bar, garden centre, coffee roastery, handmade chocolatiers, butchers, deli and several other gift shops.
BELVOIR CASTLE – The home of the Duke and Duchess of Rutland has started to open it’s doors to a variety of new events. There are the traditional jousting days and flower festivals however recently there have been a series of live music events over looking the lake. Last year it hosted Tom Jones and Pete Tong performing instrumental Ibiza classic with a 40-piece orchestra.
LIVE MUSIC – Check out the MELTON GIG GUIDE to find more info about local live music. The Generous Briton and the Noels Arms in Melton Mowbray have live music on every weekend.
BUCKMINSTER GLIDING CLUB – 10 min drive away and does taster gliding flight lessons for roughly £50
NEW LEAF TRIANGLE – Horse riding and Archery Lessons just outside the village.